Welcome to Amper!
We're excited for you to try out the Amper system through our Pilot Program.
If you're reading this, you should have received your Factory Kit. That means it's time to install your hardware.
Below you'll find the installation instructions & corresponding video. Please watch & read carefully to familiarize yourself with the process.
Note: a Maintenance Technician or someone on your Engineering staff should help with the install since installation partially takes place in the machine's power panel.
Expect an install on 2 machines to take between 30-45 minutes.
Pilot Installation FAQ
How do I decide which 2 machines to test Amper on?
We recommend you test Amper on a CNC machine that:
- You suspect is currently underutilized and/or has potential for more uptime.
- Is close to a computer or tablet.
- Is operated by a forward-thinking/motivated supervisor who understands the importance of collecting downtime reasons and using data to improve.
If I have other questions during the installation process, who do I contact?
If you run into any technical issues during your installation, please email email@example.com. We typically respond within the hour during normal business hours (9 am - 5 pm CST). You can also reach out to your Amper Account Executive.
How to Install Amper Video
Steps to a Simple Installation
- Identify Gateway, Aggregator, Power Supply, Sensor & CAT 5 Cable.
- Identify Pilot Installation Card
- Locate machine's power panel
- Plug the Power Supply into a wall AC outlet
- Connect the Power Supply to the Gateway
- Mount the Gateway to wall or the exterior of the machine.
- Run CAT5 cable from Gateway to the machine’s power panel.
- Once the CAT5 cable is inside the power panel, plug it into the Aggregator.
- Identify the wire that drives the critical process of the machine.
- Clip Sensor over the wire you identified.
- Plug the Sensor cable into first available port on the Aggregator.
- Repeat Steps 1-11 on second machine.
- Login to the web application and submit your device configuration information.
- Wait & Go live!
To install your Amper hardware, you'll need access to both the machine and the machine's power panel. It is recommended that you turn off the machine during install, so you can safely open up the panel. If you plan to do this, be sure to schedule time in advance to avoid any disturbance to machine operators.
Pilot Installation Steps
Step 1: Identify Gateway, Aggregator, Power Supply, Sensor & CAT 5 Cable.
You should have two of each, unless otherwise specified.
Gateway "GW" on the face of the device
Aggregator "AG" on the face of the device
Step 2: Identify Pilot Installation Card
This is included in your Factory Kit box. While installing, take note of & write down machine type, make & model, the 3 letter Gateway ID, 4 letter Aggregator ID and Sensor port. You'll need this information for the final step.
If you misplaced the Installation Card, or do not have one in your box, you can download & print one off below.
☝ Click to download the file
Step 3: Locate machine’s control panel
Step 4: Plug the Power Supply into a wall AC outlet
Step 5: Connect the Power Supply to the Gateway
Step 6: Mount the Gateway to wall or the exterior of the machine.
The bottom LED on the Gateway will indicate signal strength. Position the gateway so the LED is green or yellow. The higher up the better.
Step 7: Run CAT5 cable from Gateway to the machine’s power panel.
Step 8: Once the CAT5 cable is inside the power panel, plug it into the Aggregator.
Step 9: Identify the wire that drives the critical process of the machine.
If there are multiple wires for the 3 AC phases providing power to the same motor, simply pick one. The correct wire is typically:
- Spindle power for CNC machines
- Servo or pump motor power for injection molding/other machines
Step 10: Clip the sensor over the wire you identified.
Step 11: Plug the Sensor cable into first available port on the Aggregator.
Step 12: Repeat Steps 1-11 on second machine.
Step 13: Login to the Amper app and enter your configuration information.
You should have already been invited to the Amper app via email, which you can access at https://app.amper.xyz. Once logged in, you will be able to enter your machine information, using the app to guide you through that process. See the attached video below that walks you through how to set up your machine in the app.
Step 14: Go live!
Once you submit your configuration info, our team will begin tuning your machines & setting up your dashboard. This typically takes 1 week. No work is required on your end, so sit tight and get excited to go live!