Another big reason for downtime may be machine crashes or breakdowns. If after a couple of weeks of downtime labeling, you find this to be a common reason - especially on your high runner machines - it may be time to re-think preventative maintenance and the way your maintenance team is structured.
Amper's suite of Maintenance tools can help with this.
- Maintenance Schedules allow you to schedule maintenance more accurately with usage-based data.
- Maintenance Logs are a place to log all maintenance-specific tasks once they are completed.
- Maintenance Assets allow you to add other equipment to your maintenance schedule outside of your machines that are connected to Amper.
Essentially, you can use Amper's Maintenance tools to service your equipment based on actual utilization—not time. This will help your maintenance team focus their efforts on high-running machines only, and prevent wasting time and money on over servicing.
Another way to use Amper to drive to the root of your maintenance issues is to expand on downtime codes. If "Machine Crash/Breakdown" is a significant code, you can actually add more sub-reasons within that code to get to the true root cause. Below are some example root causes and solution projects you could work towards.
|Root Cause||Possible Solution|
Bad Raw Material
Improve QC checks on raw material when it arrives before running it on the machines
Tool Wear or Break
- Perform tool life studies and set up a system to change out tools before they break - Statistical Process Control. Implement QC checks after X number of pieces to ensure parts aren't going out of tolerance as tools wear. - Change tooling suppliers. Get higher quality tools. Might cost more, but it can potentially be justified with downtime hours lost
Lack of Preventative Maintenance
- Ensure PM's are getting done. Increase frequency if they are. - Implement usage based maintenance through the Amper App
No Maintenance Personnel to Come Fix the Machine
- Implement better communication systems to notify maintenance of a machine crash (Implement Andon Call Team through the Amper App) - Hire more maintenance team members - Determine common break down causes. Create break down kits to quickly and autonomously get the machines back up and running
Mistake in Setup Caused Crash
- Create SOP's for setup and audit setups to ensure each setup is done properly - Modify tooling to standardize setup - Implement first piece inspections
Mistake in Running the machine
- Create SOP's for running the machine